There is nothing quite like a delicious, protein-filled chicken soup!
Pro surfer and fitness inspiration Sally Fitzgibbons makes sure she has a batch made up at the beginning of the week so she can have a bowl mid-morning, after her first surf and cardio session… every day (read more about Sally’s diet and fitness here).
I was lucky enough to work with Australian supermarket chain Woolworths the last year, creating delicious recipes and ‘how to‘ videos that you can follow and make at home (check out their YouTube channel for more awesome video recipes). This chicken soup recipe is AMAZING and one of my favourite recipes, so so easy to make. The whole thing can be made in one pot and I freeze batches of it to have as a healthy snack or light dinner after yoga. It is clean, healthy, homemade and delicious. This recipe was also one of my go-to meals when I was injured and needed to change my diet to ensure I was getting ample protein and collagen to rebuild the torn ligaments in my knee and ankle. Read more about what foods to eat for ligament repair in an article I wrote called Injuries Suck: The best food and vitamins for ligament repair. Injuries do suck but your diet doesn’t have to.
Delicious chicken soup recipe:
Prep mins: 20
Cook mins: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1.2kg whole, free range chicken
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 onions
- 2 leeks
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ bunch fresh continental parsley, leaves separated, stalks reserved
- 1 tablespoon classic olive oil
- 60g baby spinach leaves
- Sourdough bread, warmed to serve
- Rinse the cavity of the chicken with cold running water. Use paper towel to pat dry. Place chicken breast-side down on a board. Use kitchen scissors to cut along each side of the back bone to remove. Discard backbone. Turn over and cut in half through the breast bone. Place chicken halves in a large casserole pan, cover with cold water 5cm above chicken. Cover with a lid and put on the stove to boil.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop one of each of the vegetables and 1 bruised garlic clove and add to the chicken pan along with the parsley stalks. Skimming as necessary. Cover with a lid and return to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour. Stand for 20 minutes.
- Finely chop the remaining vegetables and garlic clove. Remove chicken from pan, discard skin and bones and shred the meat. Strain the chicken stock into a large saucepan, discarding solids. Bring to the boil and reduce, if necessary, to 1.5 litres.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan, add vegetables and garlic, cook, stirring for about 8 minutes until softened but not coloured. Add chicken and 1.5 litres of the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, adding extra water if necessary. Remove from heat and season to taste.
- Coarsely chop the parsley leaves. Divide baby spinach among soup bowls, ladle over soup. Serve scattered with chopped parsley and crusty bread.
Tip1: Add ½ cup cooked pearl barley or cooked small pasta shapes to this recipe with the chicken stock.
Tip2: Add a can of creamed corn at the end if you like a creamier soup.
Tip3: Freeze the soup for up to 3 months in airtight containers, defrost in fridge the overnight.
Here is the ‘how to’ video on how to make this easy chicken soup recipe:
This chicken soup recipe is courtesy of Woolworths Australia.
If in Australia, you can shop all the ingredients and get them delivered to your door at https://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au
Header image courtesy of Woolworths Australia.