My grandma’s recipe :-) This is a really easy chicken recipe to make in large batches. At the top of the week I’ll cook this up and portion out and freeze it for easy post-gym meals. It’s also a really great dish to make when you have friends coming over, not too expensive either.
How to make California chicken recipe:
- Chicken breasts – 1 per person (can use drumsticks or thighs if preferred)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 onion – chopped
- 2 chicken stock cubes (to make this even healthier make your own chicken stock)
- 3/4+ pint of water
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 small can of sliced peaches in own juice (in syrup= too sweet)
- Sweetcorn – frozen or in the tin
- Cut the chicken into strips, about an inch thick
- Brown the chicken a bit to seal, arrange it into an oven-proof dish
- Put sweetcorn over the chicken to cover it, use as much as you think you need about 500g for 4x chicken breasts
- Scatter sliced peaches on top and pour the juice all around
- Fry the onion in the oil till soft, add more oil if needed
- Add already mixed water, chicken stock cubes and corn flour, let the cubes dissolve evenly; if too thick add some water (there is the peach juice too)
- When thickened, add to the dish, shake a bit so that the peach juice mixes with the stock
- Cover with foil and cook for 50-60min on 170C/ medium heat
- Half way through, uncover and let the juice reduce and the top to brown slightly
Serve with mashed sweet potato. I also like to serve with steamed broccoli. So healthy and yummy!
N.B You can also make this with apricots for a more Moroccan-style dish or use pork chops instead of chicken.