Who says you can’t eat healthily on a budget? It is totally possible and not to mention delicious, you just need to get a few good, go-to recipes. This cheap and healthy black bean recipe has been a staple of mine the past month while hitting the gym in preparation for winter and counting my pennies, getting ready for quitting my job to train as a heli-ski guide (ekk)!
You can double the ingredients in this black bean recipe to make extra for lunches, or add chicken for extra protein. It is also delicious with added bacon or pancetta. Mmmmmm bacon!
Related article: Your protein diet needs when training
High protein Mexican black bean recipe with tomato, avocado and onion:
Ingredients (makes 2x meals):
- 1x 400g tin of cooked black beans, washed and drained
- 1x onion, finely diced
- 2x tomatoes, cut into 6 chunks, or half 10x or so cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- 1x bunch of coriander, stalks and leaves separated
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1x chilli or dried chilli flakes or ground chipotle chilli (to taste)
- Olive oil
- Natural greek yogurt
- 1/2 lime
- Optional: 1x chicken breast, diced or bacon, diced
- Brown the diced onion in olive oil in a large pan
- Add all the spices to the onion (paprika, chilli and cumin) and cook for a minute or two
- Add the washed and drained black beans and stir through with the onion and spices
- Add the tomato and some water to create a bubbling sauce and help soften the beans
- Add the chopped coriander stalks and stir for 2 minutes
- Meanwhile dice the avocado
- Serve the beans in two bowls with the diced avocado on top, a sprinkle the left over coriander leaves, juice from the lime and a heaped tablespoon of natural Greek yogurt
- If adding chicken or bacon, cook these separately and add to the onion when almost cooked through (they will soak the juices of the spices and finish cooking with the remainder of ingredients as above).
Related article: Clean & healthy chicken soup with spinach, leeks & yummy goodness!
If you are interested in getting more protein in you diet, check out this ultimate protein ball recipe, great as a pre-work out snack or in your backpack when hiking.