By far, my FAVOURITE protein balls recipe!
These little babies are an AWESOME, healthy snack and an excellent nutrient-dense food to take with you backcountry skiing, or on any expedition when you need an instant, healthy hit of energy. They do take a bit of time to make due to the number of different ingredients that you need to crush and combine (if you have a good food processor, you can blitz this… pun intended!). But believe me it is worth it. I make a large batch of these before I travel so I can enjoy them on the plane and have a healthy snack on arrival. They make a great pre or post workout snack.
This protein balls recipe makes about 15 – 20 protein balls depending on size. I recommend doubling the recipe and freezing a batch 🙂
- 1 cup of dates
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup of puffed corn
- 1/2 cup of organic rolled oats
- 1/4 cup of almonds
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds – I recommend Changing Habits Organic Chia Seeds
- 1/4 cup of raw organic cacao powder
- 2 tbsp of chocolate flavoured protein powder
- 2 tbsp of organic coconut oil
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Soak the dates in water for 15 minutes. Rinse and squeeze all the excess water. Remove the pit and set aside
- In the food processor, blend the almonds, cashews, coconut, puffed corn, rolled oats, protein powder and chia seeds until you get a rough texture that you wouldn’t mind eating!
- Add the dates to the food processor and mix until combined. Set mixture aside
- Add the coconut oil, vanilla extract and rice malt syrup (may have to melt the coconut oil beforehand if solid)
- Use your hands to combine all the ingredients until a textured-like paste
- Roll into balls about 1 inch big
- Roll the balls in extra shredded coconut to finish
I hope you enjoy this protein balls recipe. It’s a bit tough without a food processor (I hand-crush the nuts in a mortar and pestle), but it’s worth it! These are delicious and super-duper healthy, full of chai seeds that are a staple of world champion surfer, Kelly Slater’s diet.
Make sure you check out our great recipes and insight into the nutrition and diet of top women athletes.