Soups go a long way!
I am a huge fan of soups. Not only are they easy to make but they are great to freeze in batches for future meals as well as light on the tummy for late night dinners (why is yoga class at 8:15pm!). The main reason I love soups though is because they are cheap to make and one batch goes a long way. After two weeks heliboarding in Alaska i’m pretty strapped for cash for months after so I tend to live off a lot of soups! This is my favourite tomato soup recipe. Roasting the tomatoes and garlic gives it a really rich flavour and who doesn’t love the spicy, tangy flavour of chorizo? I add lentils to it for extra protein and also turmeric for the anti-inflammatory properties.
Here’s how to make my roast tomato soup recipe with chorizo and lentils
- 1.5kg of truss tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic
- 2l of chicken stock (make this from scratch if you can – way more nutrients!)
- 2 chorizo sausages, chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of red lentils
- Olive oil
- Bunch of basil – about 20-25 stalks
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric (or as much or little as you want)
- Pop the oven on 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally and place them on an oven tray with the middl eof teh tomatoe facing up (skin down).
- Break up the whole garlic and place all the garlic bulbs in the same oven tray with the skins still on. Drizzle the tomatoes and garlic with olive oil.
- Roast the garlic and the tomatoes for 45 mins.
- Meanwhile heat a frying pan with olive oil and fry the chorizo until crispy on the outside.
- In the same pan, add the red onion and fry with the chorizo until onion’s are soft. Set aside when both are cooked.
- When the tomatoes have finished roasting, spoon out the flesh from the skins and place into a big saucepan. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins and add to the same saucepan.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the lentils and simmer for around 10 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
- Add the onion and chorizo.
- Add the basil and turmeric, stir and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Blend the soup using a stick blender until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve with crusty bread :-)
As I mentioned, if you can make this tomato soup recipe with chicken stock that you have made from boiling chicken bones you will benefit from all the great nutrients in bone broth, rather then packaged stock. Check out how to make bone broth and why it is good for you – this is a awesome addition to any healthy diet.
Enjoy! Hopefully making this yummy soup will save you some money that you can put towards adventures and travel :-)
If you love soups make sure you check out this healthy chicken soup recipe that includes a chicken bone broth. It is full of nutrients that are great for healing.