SafetyWing – New Travel Insurance designed for long-term travelers & nomadic adventurers

Seriously consider SafetyWing travel insurance if: you work remotely abroad, are a full-time traveler, or have multiple trips of over 30 days planned. During the current COVID19 outbreak, they were one of the few travel insurance companies that did not void travel insurance for those that decided to stay overseas – Another point of difference that makes them unique and worth checking out (see their policy here).


Those of us living our lives with no fixed address are on the increase. If you are lucky enough to travel full-time, freelance for work as you travel, or even run a remote office, you’ll know that this envious lifestyle doesn’t come without its challenges, right?


Often people who are location independent fall between the cracks, without proper access to consistent insurance or national safety nets like Medicare in Australia or the NHS in the UK. 


remote working on beach with laptop
If you have internet, digital nomads like Still Stoked founder Alexa, can work from anywhere, even the beach!


In previous years when I traveled from my job mountain guiding in the snow season, to then chase surf from one continent to the other when the snow melted, I had to purchase multiple separate travel insurance to reflect my changing plans (& sports). In fact, in recent years I didn’t even do that. It became too hard so I traveled mostly without travel insurance hoping for the best. This is both risky and a pretty dumb thing to do.


Seeing the pain that global freelancers and full-time travelers experience, SafetyWing was set up to build a global social safety net, designed to meet the needs of online freelancers, entrepreneurs and remote companies. Right now their product includes travel + medical insurance but they have plans to add more products like comprehensive health insurance. 


It is literally the perfect solution for someone like me that travels full-time, with ever-changing destination and adventure plans.


Travel the world and work
If you can tie working a full-time job in with travelling, you are winning


Things that are unique about this travel insurance company SafetyWing


Very few country restrictions:

SafetyWing is available to anyone under 69 years of age, from any home country in the world with the exception of Iran, North Korea, or Cuba – you can not have Cuba as your citizenship. 

You can travel anywhere in the world outside your home country with the exception of North Korea, Cuba, and Iran. 

See this additional note in the FAQ section on countries under sanctions by the United States.


You can buy if after you left home

Oh, and you can buy it before or after you leave home. There is no restriction saying you have to buy it before you leave. 


girl sailing in a storm
Decided to change course after you left your home country and go to another destination? Provided the country is not listed as restricted by SafetyWing – You are covered.


You can return home and the policy isn’t voided!

They cover incidental trips home. Incidental means that your visit home can not be for the purpose of obtaining treatment for an illness or injury that began while abroad. For every 90 days of your insurance policy, you are covered for up to 30 days in your home country (15 days if your home country is in the US), for unforeseen eligible medical conditions.


You are covered for being more than 40 nautical miles offshore

That means anyone going on a surf boat trip like our Mentawais Surf trip, or anyone bluewater sailing – Best get in touch with them with details of your trip via their online chat window on the website. Their customer service team will be able to advise on your individual circumstances.


Jody McDonald Photography
That means you are covered to sail to remote Islands like this one. Photo Jody McDonald.


SafetyWing cover a large list of sporting activities

Including bungee jumping, scuba diving, surfing and snowboarding and skiing (on piste, not off-piste).

See the full list here and details of their coverage here or their FAQ page


SafetyWing insurance

lena stoffel surfing
Surfing is one of the many sporting activities covered. Photo of Lena Stoffel.



How much does it cost?

Just like if you were at home paying your monthly subscription for private health care, SafetyWing is charged in a similar way with a monthly subscription. Essentially, you are purchasing a long-term travel insurance policy of a minimum of 4 weeks or 28 days. Each month the travel insurance renews and will do so until you cancel, or 364 days have passed then it will expire.

It is also possible to pay for your policy upfront, 5 days minimum or 364 days maximum. 

The deductible is $250 and there is a $250k maximum limit.

For worldwide travel outside the US it is $36.96 USD a month and including travel to the US, it is $67.76 USD.


Aline Bock and Anne-flore Marxer VanLife
Working while on the road safe in the knowledge that if something happens to you, you will be covered.


What’s Covered?

Medical Insurance

SafetyWing will covers you if you get into an accident or get sick while you are abroad and require and need medical assistance.


You’ll be covered for: 

  • Any time in hospital – Room and nursing services
  • If you need intensive care – Up to the overall maximum limit
  • If you need ambulance Services
  • If you need Urgent Care$50 co-payment, not subject to a deductible
  • If you need physical therapy and chiropractic care – up to $50 per day.  But note, you must be referred by a physician. 
  • If you need emergency Dental – Up to $1,000. Not subject to the deductible.
  • All other eligible medical expenses – Up to the overall maximum limit.


Carissa Moore
Competitive sports, or professional sports are not covered by this insurance.


Things you will not be covered for: 

  • High-risk sports activities – see the list here in the FAQ under ‘which sporting activities do you cover).
  • Pre-existing disease or injury 
  • Cancer treatment


Travel Insurance

With SafetyWing you are covered for many unforeseen things that can happen while you are away from home. These include travel delay, lost luggage, emergency response, natural disasters and public liability.


What is in my backcountry pack for skiing or snowboarding
It would cost thousands of dollars to replace a lost ski bag. Having travel insurance with someone like SafetyWing means it would be covered.


Here are the details….

  • If your trip gets interrupted – Up to $5,000. No deductible.
  • If your flight or travel is delayed – Up to $100 a day after a 12 hour delay period requiring an unplanned overnight stay. Subject to a maximum of 2 days. No deductible. 
  • If your checked luggage gets lost – Up to $3,000 per certificate period; $500 per item. Up to $6,000 lifetime limit. No deductible. At this time though, electronic like cameras, phones and laptops are not covered. 
  • If you find yourself in a natural disaster – You’ll get a new place to stay, up to $100 a day for 5 days. No deductible. 
  • If you need political Evacuation – Up to $ 10,000-lifetime maximum. Not subject to deductible or overall maximum limit.
  • You are also covered for Personal Liability & accidental Deathsee here for details.


MCL knee injury rehabilition
With SafetyWing you are also covered for physio training while abroad (if referred by a physician).


So is SafetyWing worth checking out?

For someone that finds purchasing travel insurance a minefield of expensive options that evidently ends up giving you anxiety, SafetyWing is a really good option.  

Starting at USD37 (without the US) or USD68 (including the US) per month, for anyone between 10 and 39 years of age (higher prices apply to older age groups), we think this is totally affordable. At time of writing with all the travel restrictions in place with COVID19, they seemed to be one of the few travel insurance companies that did not void your travel insurance for choosing to stay in the country of chosen travel which is very much in line with their product offering supporting not just travelers but people who travel full-time or work abroad remotely.

Check out SafetyWing on their website 


This article was written in partnership with SafetyWing. All research and opinions are from Still Stoked.

Hiya, I'm Alexa. Always on some sort of adventure! I'm excited to share my stories & introduce you to other rad women, also living the dream. I'm here to inspire you to do the same :-)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here